[SIGCIS-Members] Why don't real historians write popular works?

James Sumner james.sumner at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 8 12:55:10 PDT 2014

Those pondering the challenges and possible unwinnability of this war
may possibly draw inspiration, or at least solace, from a modern classic
article in the history of science:

David Philip Miller, "The 'Sobel Effect': The Amazing Tale of How
Multitudes of Popular Writers Pinched All the Best Stories in the
History of Science and Became Rich and Famous while Historians
Languished in Accustomed Poverty and Obscurity, and how this Transformed
the World. A Reflection on a Publishing Phenomenon". /Metascience/ 11
(2002), 185-200. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02914819
(subscription)

Best
James