[SIGCIS-Members] Should we crowdsource an Isaacson fact check?

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Tue Oct 7 11:44:41 PDT 2014

Hello Bernard (& SIGCIS)

Thanks for the thoughtful response. It seems to be that there are two main
ways we as a community might choose to respond to popular non-fiction work
such as that presented by Dyson or Issacson. The first is to treat it as
historical scholarship in need of expert review, checking its various claims
and assessing the extent to which consists of statements which, while
simplified, can be reconciled with expert consensus and primary sources.

The other is to go to the meta level, and ask what the popularity of
particular kinds of narrative tells us about the world we live in, perhaps
taking a memory studies approach and charting the different ways in which
ENIAC, for example, has been represented over time.

I’ve done both in the past, for example with respect to the “Inventor of
Email” where I both maintain a page debunking his specific claims and wrote
a column for CACM looking at broader lessons from the affair. Our ENIAC book
include a chapter “Remembering ENIAC” looking at its posthumous career, and
I will certainly be adding a short discussion of Isaacson into its last
section on the 2000-onward era we characterize as “The ENIAC of Women.”

I just purchased the Kindle version of Isaacson’s book and am already noting
a number of factual errors small and large. Some of these are a result of
necessary simplification performed without finesse (e.g. a rather incoherent
treatment of the “stored program concept”) but many are flat out
carelessness where being accurate would not have made the text any longer or
harder to understand. For example statements that ENIAC was designed to
calculate missile (rather than shell) trajectories, that the Army no longer
intended to calculate firing tables after the end of the war, use of Bartik
quotes about 1947 meetings with von Neumann to characterize his 1944
meetings with the ENIAC team before she even came to the Moore School, etc.

At one point he claims that ENIAC was one of the first two stored program
computers along with the Manchester Baby. That’s trueish, though our
conclusion was that this points out the limitations of “stored program” as a
category. However next two consecutive sentences are completely incoherent,
in crediting it both with program storage only in read only memory (true)
and a functioning delay line memory in April 1947 (a total fantasy): “a read
only memory, which meant it was hard to modify programs while they were
running. In addition, its mercury delay line memory was sluggish and
required prevision engineering.” A paragraph or two earlier he calls the
mathematician Richard Clippinger and physicist Nick Metropolis engineers. In
many other places he relies on claims made in oral histories without looking
to see if historians have been able to reconcile the details quoted with
other sources.

Now to combine these two perspectives, it’s probably the job of someone like
Isaacson to write popular history that is wildly inaccurate in many details
and the job of scholarly historians to pedantically point out errors and be
largely ignored. Meanwhile he will win all the fame and media attention we
secretly believe should be ours, but which our fusty attachment to accurate
detail and distain for the narrative expectations of popular history will
forever deny us. It’s not that we want to come at Isaacson with pitchforks
and flaming torches to demand that his book be pulped, and it will surely
increase general interest in our field. But the thought of students or
researchers citing some of these details is scary, and his book does have
the outward appearance of a serious contribution – it has footnotes, a
surprising amount of technical terminology, etc. Errors here will be
disseminated widely.

So there might be some benefit in putting up on the SIGCIS site a crowd
sourced fact check to document clear cut errors in the text, using quoted
primary or authoritative secondary sources to document the truth.
(Reactionary as I do feel to appropriate momentarily the concepts of truth
and authority). Then if, for example, a SIGCIS member finds an odd assertion
sourced from Isaacson in a student paper being graded he or she could point
to the SIGCIS page as evidence that ENIAC did not have a delay line memory,
that Hopper “did not serve as the technical lead in coordinating the
creation of COBOL,” that a large part of ENIAC’s existence was spent
calculating firing tables, etc.

Note to enthusiasts: this does not include grading Isaacson on his fidelity
to one or another school of thought on the “first computer,” etc.

So, does anyone with an interest in such things want to volunteer to edit
such a page? That would primarily involve check submissions from SIGCIS
members for inclusion and making decisions on what counts as a clear factual
error vs. a personal interpretation.