[SIGCIS-Members] COBOL history

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Oct 6 11:08:35 PDT 2014

The phrase I have seen repeatedly to clarify this point is that Hopper
should be remembered as the "Grandmother of COBOL" rather than the "Mother
of COBOL." That fits with what Brian is quoting -- that she pioneer high
level language technology and promoted its particular applicability to
business data processing. That would not be the same thing as leading the
COBOL effort or designing the language, though she did push for its
adoption.

In GoTo, Steve Lohr quotes Sammet on page 52 as saying Hopper was "not the
mother, creator, or developer of COBOL." Lohr reports on the same page that
Dan McCraken was told by Hopper herself to call her the "grandmother of
COBOL" rather than its mother.

Tom