[SIGCIS-Members] Alan Turin and economics

Bernardo Batiz-Lazo bbatiz64 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 01:46:45 PDT 2014

This might be of interest to some
best
Bernardo
Bangor University (Wales)

Alan Turing - A Forbidden Fruit, its Serendipitous Fall and a Poisoned Bite
Date:	2014
By:	K.Vela Velupillai
URL:	http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:trn:utwpas:1407&r=his

Abstract

I summarise some of the various ways in which the Turing birth centennial
has been commemorated, paying homage to a few of his remarkable hints on how to ‘see
further’. The third section is an outline of what I call the five classic contributions by Turing,
those which embody what Max Newman in his early (1955) Royal Society Biographical Memoir
(Cooper-van Leeuven, pp. 5-12) referred to as their ‘unity of purpose’ (ibid., p. 7). The
concluding section is written with my economist’s ‘hat’ firmly placed on my aged head –
wondering why so much confusion and misconceptions surround many of the claimed
applications of computability (and Brouwerian constructivity) in applied and pure economic
theory