[SIGCIS-Members] Joan Clarke, woman who cracked Enigma with Alan Turing

McMillan, William W william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu
Tue Nov 11 05:55:29 PST 2014

As everyone on this list knows, decoding efforts depended also on many codebreakers, mainly women, who worked by hand to find patterns in coded messages.  In honor of them on this Veterans Day here in the U.S., I offer this photo of one Mary Eunice Amos, my mother, in 1944 when she was serving in the U.S. Navy in Washington D.C. as a codebreaker:

http://cuaacs.org/bill/images/M_Amos_USN_1944.jpg

She had been a children's librarian before enlisting.  Still kicking at age 96!  Well, not doing much kicking anymore, but still talking about breaking codes.

Bill