[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: News - The winners of the 2014 Tony Sale Award for computer conservation

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Sat Nov 8 13:45:39 PST 2014

I met the 1401 team last year - what a great group of people!  No only did
they restore these machines to running order, but made a conscious effort
to place them in context for visitors.  Restoring IBM machines is an
enormous challenge because of the company's 'isolationist' approach to
technology and engineering - SMS is a lot easier than SLT, though!  -- Ian

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Brian Randell <brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
> wrote:

>  Hi:
>
>  I thought this news release might be of interest to SIGCIS members.
>
>  Cheers
>
>  Brian Randell
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>  *NEWS RELEASE from the Computer Conservation Society*
>
>  *The winners of the 2014 Tony Sale Award for computer conservation are …*
>
> *a virtual 1930’s mechanical computer  and a restored industry-changing
> computer.*

>  The 2014 Tony Sale Award for computer conservation has been jointly
> awarded to two outstanding and contrasting entries representing computing
> in the 1930s and the late 1950s.
>
>  The winners are the *IBM 1401 Demo Lab*, a restoration of one of the
> most significant machines in computer history by the Computer History
> Museum in California, and *Z1 Architecture and Algorithms*, a virtual
> reconstruction of the 1930’s Konrad Zuse mechanical computer, by the Free
> University of Berlin.
>

>  Run by the Computer Conservation Society and sponsored by Google UK,
> this is the second Tony Sale Award for computer conservation. The first was
> won in 2012 by Dr David Link for *LoveLetters*, a computer art
> installation that continues to tour the world.
>
>  In announcing the 2014 winners, Martin Campbell-Kelly, computer
> historian and head of the judging panel, said: “The eight excellent entries
> for the 2014 Tony Sale Award from four different countries clearly
> demonstrates how computer conservation is flourishing more than 20 years
> after Tony Sale embarked on his pioneering and awe-inspiring reconstruction
> of a Colossus Mk II, a world-famous exhibit at The National Museum of
> Computing on Bletchley Park.”
>
>  The *IBM 1401 Demo Lab* is a classic reconstruction of a 50-year old
> commercial computer. It marked the transition of IBM as a supplier of
> accounting machines to it becoming the dominant supplier of the mainframe
> era. Announced in 1959, the IBM 1401’s success took everyone by surprise.
> The company had expected to sell or lease about 1,000, but went on to
> deliver 15,000 and by the mid-1960s they amounted to half of the computers
> in the world. Its high-speed chain printer was a key to its success --
> punched card machines were eagerly traded in for the IBM 1401 and business
> computing took a huge stride forward.
>
>  In a project involving 20 volunteers over ten years, two 1401s have been
> restored at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. The
> computers and the ancillary equipment including the famous 1403 chain
> printer are on permanent display and the working system is demonstrated
> twice a week. See
> http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/restoring-the-ibm-1401/ for more
> information about the project.
>
>  The judging panel said: “The *IBM Demo Lab* is a flawless restoration of
> a machine that signalled a turning point in the computer industry and the
> [...]

Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS
Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School
University of Washington

An optimist sees a glass half full. A pessimist sees it half empty. An
engineer sees it twice as large as it needs to be.