[SIGCIS-Members] Metropolis on Writing the History of Computing

B. Randell Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk
Mon May 19 03:37:00 PDT 2014

Hi Scott:

Your Metropolis quote reminds me of something that Kenneth O. May, then head of the Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Toronto, once said to me. I was visiting there, I think just after my book "The Origins of Digital Computers: Selected Papers" had been published in 1973, and I was invited to give a seminar. He sensed that I felt uncomfortable, a mere computer scientist, at the thought of giving a seminar in such a distinguished venue, and I will always recall his reassurance, which was to the effect: "Don't worry Brian, there is as much bad history of science written by historians who don't understand science as by scientists who don't understand history."

In fact I had been made aware of my limitations as a self-taught "historian" by my wife, who had been horrified to find that I thought Blaise Pascal's main claim to fame was as the inventor of one of the first calculating machines. So I felt I was not fitted to produce anything more than what I learned was known as an "internalist" history. Indeed I am very pleased that such histories of computing continue to be produced, alongside ones that take a broader (and sometimes shallower) view.

Cheers

Brian Randell