[SIGCIS-Members] Microcomputer History Museum

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Mon Jun 30 07:18:18 PDT 2014

While wandering the back roads of Virginia last week, I stumbled upon this museum:
http://bugbookcomputermuseum.com/
The web site is actually misleading--the museum is there, and it is open to the public free of charge on a regular schedule.
It is located in downtown Floyd, VA, which is somewhat off the beaten track, to put it mildly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd,_Virginia  Floyd is not near Tysons Corner!
But it was open, and I had a most enjoyable tour. The collection is focused on the pre-IBM PC microcomputer days. Its crown jewel is a "Mark-8," designed by Jonathan Titus of nearby Blacksburg--a legendary early microcomputer kit. There are other similar items on display as well.
I guess this qualifies as a "busman's holiday."

Paul E. Ceruzzi, Chairman
Division of Space History, MRC 311
National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
202-633-2414
http://airandspace.si.edu/staff/paul-ceruzzi