[SIGCIS-Members] Alan Turing as gay icon

Andrew Meade McGee amm5ae at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 5 10:54:09 PDT 2014

This is a thought-provoking thread, in both of its directions: changing
perceptions of Turing as individual (sexuality, wartime significance, the
resurgence of popular awareness of him in recent years) and contested
meanings of his legacy as a figure in modem information history (a
phenomenon inextricably tied to surveillance).

I'd add to Paul C.'s mention of Hughes' thought; when it comes to
information technology in organizations, especially those in the public
sector, you also have to consider the ways "technological momentum" and
frequently ill-defined policy agendas reinforce one another in a feedback
loop. Government agencies accumulate and process information not just
because it's what they've always done, but because doing so frequently
seems to fulfill the nebulous policy directives of agency higher-ups,
elected officials, and even the populace at large.

You have a mandate to "get the Terrorists/Communists/Anarchists" and no one
closely questions how you do it in time of panic or popular outrage, when
outcome matters more than process. By the time anyone asks questions, the
expanded prerogative practices have embedded themselves and it takes
considerable effort to root them out. It doesn't even require national
security conditions -- you get a call for increased efficiency in
government operations (say from a President desperate to squeeze spending
margins, like in the late '60s, or an insurgent Congress, in the mid '90s)
and you get vague policy goals merging with entrenched information
technologies.

Anyways, all of these topics are compelling and I'm glad to see the list
discussing them.

Off on a tangent,
Andrew