[SIGCIS-Members] Were any early computers completed on schedule?

James Cortada jcortada at umn.edu
Tue Jan 14 08:09:42 PST 2014

Paul makes the correct point about when machines were "finished."  Once
companies start development projects to create new machines then we see
deadlines set for getting the initial versions built, other deadlines for
getting them tested and approved for general production, for public
announcement of availability, and then targets set for "first customer
shipments."  So a typical commercial computer and or peripheral of any size
after about 1955 may have 4+ general deadlines its developers/manufacturing
divisions might have to meet.  Since we are talking about thousands of
machines over the course of many years, it is a tough question to answer
how many made it.  By definition, as Paul implies, early systems were
one-of-a-kind exploratory experiment.

 He is also right about the Colossus, which despite heroic efforts by
British historians to promote, its position in the history of computing is
still a project underway.  I think we are finally realizing how important
it was, not just for its use in the war, but as an important medium for
creating and diffusing knowledge about computing across both British
computer builders and quickly too to American and other European computer
builders.  On either point, Colossus really was magnificent.  Had its
existence not been kept quiet for so long, we would have come to this
recognition much earlier at the expense of ENIAC and other early machines.
 So the Rodney Dangerfield comment is correct--as that American comedian
used to say at the start of each performance, "I get no respect."

Cheers,

Jim Cortada

James W. Cortada
Senior Research Fellow