[SIGCIS-Members] Were any early computers completed on schedule?

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Jan 13 09:17:38 PST 2014

Hello,

For my ongoing project on ENIAC I've written a sentence SEAC, another early
computer, that includes the words "..although finished well behind schedule,
like all early computers.".

It's been suggested to me that several Colossus computers were in fact
finished on schedule. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, are there any other examples of early digital computers of the 1940s
or earlier reaching reliable operation more or less on the schedule promised
to the people funding them? Delays to ENIAC, EDVAC, the IAS computer, ACE,
Univac, the Manchester Mark 1, the  Harvard Mark 1, and of course Babbage's
Difference Engine are well documented.

I can always change "all" to "most" but this is now making me curious.