[SIGCIS-Members] The Bletchley Park Dispute - Page Links

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Mon Feb 17 16:31:08 PST 2014

I was there (TNMOC) almost exactly a year ago.  While I could see that they
were certainly tidying the place up, I didn't see this coming.

Is there something in the water?  I've been seeing this trend at the Living
Computer Museum, where I was employed until we parted ways last month.
 There seems to be a lack of faith in the drawing power of history,
replaced by a belief that without cotton candy and carousel rides you won't
attract visitors.  As a pretty straightforward museum of computer history,
LCM exceeded all attendance expectations in its first year.  I obviously
can't reveal details but Vulcan (the parent company) is developing plans to
redesign LCM that seem much like Bletchley Trust's plans for the Park.  My
hope for both TNMOC and LCM is that their collections at least remain
intact and perhaps this 'Disneyfication' trend shall pass.

Ian S. King, MSCS ('06, Washington)
Ph.D. Student
The Information School
University of Washington