[SIGCIS-Members] The Bletchley Park Dispute - Page Links

Brian Randell brian.randell at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Feb 2 05:22:10 PST 2014

Hi:

I've had several requests for detailed page links related to the very unfortunate dispute at Bletchley Park, a subject which has given rise to a large amount of traffic on the Web and in social media since the BBC News broadcasts of 24 Jan. Here, for those wishing to gain a better understanding of this dispute, is my attempt to identify and provide links to the most significant web pages that have been produced as a result of the BBC News broadcasts, as of 1 Feb 2014. (In many cases the pages I've identified have already had an extensive set comments added to them.)

I have no plans to take on a role of unofficial chronicler of this dispute, which I fear is going to run and run unless the senior staff at the Bletchley Park Trust can be persuaded to reverse some of their recent policy decisions promptly, but would nevertheless appreciate being informed of any other/further really significant web pages related to the dispute.

Meanwhile I note a very significant spike in the rate of contributions to The National Museum of Computing, so have included a link to their donations page.

Cheers

Brian Randell

------

THE BBC NEWS ITEMS OF 24 JAN 2014

BBC TV News - a 2.4 min video clip
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25916048

BBC Radio 4 - a 5 min audio clip
http://www.vmars.org.uk/sitedata/files/BBC_Bletchley.mp3

OFFICIAL STATEMENTS FROM THE BLETCHLEY PARK TRUST

Progress in Perspective
http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/news/v.rhtm/Progress_in_Perspective-755840.html

Crossed Wires at Bletchley Park
http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/news/v.rhtm/Crossed_Wires_at_Bletchley_Park-755638.html

OFFICIAL STATEMENTS FROM THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF COMPUTING

Deciphering dissent at Bletchley Park
http://www.tnmoc.org/news/news-releases/deciphering-discontent-statement-tnmoc-trustees

The bigger picture: fragmenting a heritage site
http://www.tnmoc.org/news/news-releases/bigger-picture-fragmenting-heritage-site

THE BEST (IN MY OPINION) INDEPENDENT ACCOUNTS OF THE DISPUTE

Disharmony at Bletchley Park
http://freelance.halfacree.co.uk/2014/01/disharmony-at-bletchley-park/

UK National Computer Museum Off-Limits At Bletchley Park
http://i-programmer.info/news/82-heritage/6888-uk-national-computer-museum-off-limits-at-bletchley-park.html

ACCOUNTS BY (ANONYMOUS) VOLUNTEERS

The history behind the Bletchley Park dispute:
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13wgplxnmfgdzibw04cdvehbvqqsrsztk40k

Bletchley Park plan to “cull old and infirm”
http://maturetimes.co.uk/leisure-and-lifestyle/readers-write/8079-bletchley-park-plan-to-%22cull-old-and-infirm%22.html

THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF COMPUTING

Donations Page
http://www.tnmoc.org/support/make-donation

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK