[SIGCIS-Members] NY Review of Books: The Imitation Game -- a question

Alberts, Gerard G.Alberts at uva.nl
Mon Dec 22 10:07:46 PST 2014

Dear Dave,
let us ask Edgar Daylight what he has to say on this. He and I did work on precisely this question for a while, but our findings did not yet reach the stage of formal publication. Basically the impression is that the Perlis and Carr gang, busy in creating a venue for exchange of software ideas (Communications of the ACM), went on to create a professional identity. Part of such effort, of course, is to name one's heroes. Probably from the US perspective pointing at the Englishman Turing was a safe choice. There is no indication that Turing was in any way the cult figure he is today.
Edgar's bold entry question at the time was how many of the Turing awardees would have actually read the work of Turing.

An exceptionally early, and to my knowledge the earliest explicit computer science continuation on Turing's 1936 article is by E.F. Moore, 'A simplified universal Turing machine', in Proceedings of the Association for Computing Machinery; Meeting at Toronto, Ont. Sept 8-10, 1952 (Washington, ACM, 1952), 50-55.

Christmas thoughts,
Gerard