[SIGCIS-Members] Origin of the Tablet

McMillan, William W william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu
Thu Dec 18 10:31:11 PST 2014

Back around 1980, when I was a grad student at Case Western Reserve U., a fellow was doing a sabbatical in the Psych Department, developing software for a real-time writing surface connected to an Apple IIe.  You wrote with a pen on the surface and the writing appeared on the screen of the Apple.  It was to help kids with special needs learn to write.  This guy was from Australia, but I forget his name.  He was writing in 6502 assembler in order to get the response speed he needed.  It seemed to work well, and the display kept up with your writing.

Not a tablet computer, but maybe related.  Don't know if the work was ever published.  If anyone's interested, I can follow the trail back and try to get some information.

- Bill