[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: IHPST NEWSLETTER: November 28, 2014

Fishwick, Paul Paul.Fishwick at utdallas.edu
Tue Dec 2 17:43:00 PST 2014

On Dec 2, 2014, at 5:09 AM, Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk<mailto:willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>> wrote:

Dear all (from the sidelines),

I agree that the history and philosophy of computing belong in close proximity to each other, that both are rich and important fields -- and I'd like to see the usually far too utilitarian digital humanities (at the intersection of computing and the humanities) brought into the discussion. It's the intersecting that makes it valuable here. I particularly like Mike Mahoney's comment that the question "is computer science a science" is actually two questions: "what happens to computing if you call it a science?" and "what do you mean by 'science' if computing is one?”

This is one response to these two questions:

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2601381.2601391

-p

Yours,
WM

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Chair, ACM SIGSIM
Distinguished University Chair of Arts & Technology
   and Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology