[SIGCIS-Members] Charles Babbage, Novelist

Matthew Kirschenbaum mkirschenbaum at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 06:27:59 PDT 2014

Well, almost.

On a recent trip the National Science Museum in London, UK I spotted
mention of the fact that CB considered writing novels as a way to
finance work on the Analytical Engine; but he never did.

Exhibit cards being exhibit cards, there was no sourcing for this
tidbit. I've checked some of the Babbage bios, like Hyman, but while
they also make the same claim there's still no specific sourcing. Does
anyone know where it actually comes from?

Thanks, Matt

--
Matthew Kirschenbaum
Associate Professor of English