[SIGCIS-Members] Response on course design from James Sumner

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Mon Sep 30 17:13:06 PDT 2013

There are Russian companies who would be glad to supply you with brand new
vacuum tubes.  However, buy extras: my experience has been mixed with these
sources!  I needed to replace a tube in the four-channel plug-in for my
Tektronix 561A oscilloscope (late 1960s).  After trying three tubes, I
found one that worked.  Good thing they sold them in lots of five.  Caveat
emptor -- Ian King

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM, Aron Levy <aronpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On that note, after discussing with a friend of mine, the thought of
> sourcing nearly 17,500 vacuum tubes, many I which are no longer available
> seems to render the idea of rebuilding ENIAC somewhat remote.
>
> Unless Washington and Lee happens to have an entire warehouse full of
> tubes! (Stranger things have been known to happen.)
>
> Aron Levy
>
> I typed this with my thumbs. Please excuse my brevity.
>
> On Sep 30, 2013, at 12:11 AM, "Thomas Haigh" <thaigh at computer.org> wrote:
>
> > [James is still having problems sending to the list, but has a good reply
> > below. Tom]

Ian S. King, MSCS ('06, Washington)
Ph.D. Student
The Information School
University of Washington

"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken."  - Oscar Wilde