[SIGCIS-Members] Seeking help -- if you could design your ideal Computer/Information History course, what would you include?

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Sep 26 15:58:50 PDT 2013

As this discussion has taken a rather unexpected direction I would like to
alert you to a recent discovery I've made in my own research with Mark
Priestley on ENIAC. Apologies to Andrew who undoubtedly deserves something
more serious.

The correct term project is clearly:

1)      Build an ENIAC identical in every respect to the original

2)      Set it up to play Pong.

We believe that, with no hardware modification, the original ENIAC could
probably have played a passable game of PONG by using the lights on several
accumulators to represent the ball.  Each 10 digit accumulator included a
10x10 matrix of neons representing each possible value of each possible
digit, so that its contents would be read at a glance. Putting three
accumulators next to each other would get you a 30x10 matrix. Each bat would
be moved by turning a digit knob, and given the latency of neons we believe
that we could display 2 or three light tall bats at each end if the
playfield by alternating quickly between two or more numbers stored in the
relevant digit. The motion of the ball would play to the machine's strengths
with differential equations.

I think the old hobby of proving various early machines Turing Complete
could be replaced by a new pastime of approximating Pong. I am confident
someone will soon prove the Z1, Harvard Mark 1, Babbage's unbuilt Game
Engine, and/or the ABC to be Pong Complete in order to make sure that the
title of "First" remains in dispute.

Tom