[SIGCIS-Members] Soliciting Input for SHOT Teaching Panel

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Tue Sep 17 23:17:49 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to participate in a panel at SHOT that discusses how SIGs
influence our teaching of the history of technology. There will be one
person from each SIG and the panel's goal is to tease out how each SIG's
focus influences everything from the teaching of undergraduate survey
courses to mentoring graduate students. How do the particular interests of
the SIGs aid in "crafting a diversified pedagogical approach"?

I'd like to be able to share some insights from members here who have
thought about these issues and used specific theories, methods, or topics
from the history of computing and information to develop or reorient their
approaches to teaching and mentoring. If you have time, I'd be grateful if
you would share your ideas with me in the next few days as I finalize my
comments. I'd also really like to hear from grad students who can talk
about how the SIGCIS might have influenced their learning experiences (as
well as their teaching techniques). The panel will be featured on SHOT's
new website so that folks can read the presenters' comments before the
meeting. Abstract of the panel is below if you'd like to know more.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marie

Title:

Integrating SHOT Special Interest Group Concerns into the Teaching of
History of

Technology: Rethinking Modes of Instruction in a Diverse Community

Organizers:

Honghong Tinn, National University of Singapore, Singapore

Francesca Bray, University of Edinburgh, UK

Discussants:

Anna Åberg, the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden

Gregory Clancey, National University of Singapore, Singapore

Marie Hicks, Illinois Institute of Technology, USA

Ann Johnson, University of South Carolina, USA (Chair)

Geoff D. Zylstra, the City University of New York, USA

Abstract:

This roundtable session proposes to discuss the way in which SHOT scholars
have incorporated

SIG themes in their scholarship as well as in their teaching practices. In
recent years, several new

Special Interest Groups (SIGs), such as the SHOT Asia Network and Exploring
Diversity in

Technology’s History (EDITH) have been formed in the Society for the
History of Technology.

Together with a myriad of well-established SIGs, such as Women In
Technology History

(WITH), the Prometheans, and the Special Interest Group on Computers,
Information, and

Society (SIGCIS), SIGs have offered scholars homes of productive space and
meaningful

interactions during and beyond the annual meetings of SHOT.

While we are celebrating the diversification of SIGs as a community, the
teaching concerns of

the community should also consider the implications of such
diversification. In the 2012 SHOT,

after the plenary on “Transnationalism and the History of Technology:
Lessons from Tensions of

Europe and Other Projects,” Ann Johnson brought up an interesting
question—how do we

mentor graduate students on working in transnational research projects,
even as we acknowledge

the importance of transnational perspectives?

This roundtable session plans to invite SHOT scholars to discuss (1) the
possible contributions

SIGs could make to advance the field’s graduate student mentoring and
undergraduate teaching,

and (2) how the recent diversification of SIGs may shape our teaching of
survey courses. This

session will discuss the hows and whys in crafting a diversified
pedagogical approach towards

the study of technology’s history, as well as examine the choices of
scholars in identifying

particular works or approaches in their teaching at both graduate and
undergraduate levels.
Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, History of Technology
Illinois Institute of Technology