[SIGCIS-Members] Social Sudies of Inormation and the iConfernce

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Tue Nov 26 22:03:24 PST 2013

Hello SIGCIS people,

This message will be of interest to a subset of you, but I think it's worth
sending anyway. It's about a chance to participate in a new community and an
upcoming conference workshop.

Some background. These is such a thing as an "iSchool." The "I" is for
"information." Most of them used to be library schools, but now they do
things to do with computers as well/instead of things to do with libraries.
The schools vary widely, but they have an organization and a conference.
It's called the "iConfernce."

Quite a few SIGCIS people, including Bill Aspray, Nathan Ensmenger, Eden
Medina, Paul Edwards, Greg Downey, Dave Stearns, and me find ourselves
employed in iSchools. History itself is marginal, at best, in most of these
schools but STS is somewhat better established and easier to position on the
curriculum. Given the job market, people with STS training have also been
going to work in iSchools. However, STS-like perspectives are spread over
many different sub communities with names like "social informatics," "values
in design," "information policy," "internet studies" whose currency varies
from school to school.

My experience with SIGCIS has made me realize the value that simple tools,
such as a listserv and syllabus repository, can have for a scattered
community. I'd also seen people looking to send messages to the iSchool STS
community making their own long lists of email names, because there is no
established list that reaches this group.

Thus was born www.socialstudiesof.info, which (as I can admit here among
friends) is basically trying to repeat some of the things that more or less
worked with SIGCIS over the past eight years to bring together the
metacommunity of people with STS interest in iSchools. If you find this
project interesting I encourage you to sign up, submit your syllabi, spread
the word, etc.

More specifically, and as explained in the message below, the iConference is
in Berlin next March. Early registration runs out on Dec 15. I'm the lead
organizer of a full day workshop there on "Exploring the Social Studies of
Information." It's going to be informal and participatory, but if you're
interested or need this for travel money I can probably find a spot for you
on a roundtable or discussion group somewhere on the program.

I'd love to see a strong showing at the workshop from this community, and a
renewed attempt (in this niche at least) of finding ways to integrate
history of computing with STS and with the broader iSchool concept of
"information history."