[SIGCIS-Members] de/classification of US government archives re sci/technology

Sharon Traweek traweek at history.ucla.edu
Mon Nov 11 16:39:52 PST 2013

Hi,
I would appreciate references to any scholarly studies focused
specifically on the opening of US cold war government archives of
classified  [secret] research in the sciences and engineering fields. I
have searched for a review article on this topic, including the changing
US government strategies for de/classification, but have not found one.
That is, I am looking for research on the history of the de/classification
process at US government archives 1945 to the present and public access to
such materials concerning science and technology. I am aware of passages
on this topic distributed in various histories of particular cold war
sciences and technologies and in some histories and legal studies of the
US Freedom of Information Act of 1966 and the relevant Presidential
Executive Orders [12958/13292/13526] on this topic issued since 1995.
Cordially,
Sharon Traweek, UCLA