[SIGCIS-Members] my "take" on Obamacare

James Cortada jcortada at umn.edu
Fri Nov 8 07:01:54 PST 2013

I agree Bill.  I am willing to bet $100 once we know the background story
to this project's problems that (a) how it was managed was the root cause
of all that happened--project management and (b) that while some technical
issues were probably present, such as linking to preexisting databases and
bad code writing, that they were outgrowths of the first.

The Federal Government has a long history of difficulties in delivering
large high profile projects, and often for reasonable reasons. They rarely
get studied by historians, however, as I discovered when I wrote a book on
the evolution of IT in American government agencies.  However, this current
project may motivate someone now to examine a series of cases in the
Federal Government to identify patterns of work, and possibly suggestions
for improved performance that would fit within the context of how
government works (e.g., its particular form of RFPs, etc.)  An IRS IT
manager once told me that programming new systems in the Federal Government
was like trying to change a flat tire on a car that has to continue moving
down the road at 50 miles an hour driven by inexperienced drivers not
interested in how the car works or the tires are performing.

James W. Cortada
Senior Research Fellow
Charles Babbage Institute
University of Minnesota