[SIGCIS-Members] VCF East 2014 speaker line-up -- Part 1

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Tue Nov 5 21:15:41 PST 2013

Hello SIGCIS,

The next edition of Vintage Computer Festival East is scheduled for
April 4-6, 2014, once again at the all-volunteer, grassroots InfoAge
Science Center, in Wall, New Jersey.

This edition will be VCF East "9.1" because we canceled last year's
planned 9.0 edition due to lingering impact of Hurricane Sandy. We
thought about keeping the 9.0 label, or jumping to 10.0, but mostly we
thought 9.1 is funny .... it's the 9.0 edition with bug fixes.

So far, the confirmed speakers include:
- Paul Lasewicz (IBM's corporate archivist)
- Maris Graube (founder of IEEE 802 LAN/MAN committee)
- Dave Haynie (Commodore Amiga executive)
- Bill Cheswick (Bell Labs firewall pioneer)

There will be much more! We're working on a Scelbi activity, a couple of
film screenings, a fun AT&T presentation, a really awesome technical
workshop, and one more keynote speaker who is MIND-BLOWINGLY FAMOUS.
(Sorry, I can't reveal the name yet...)

There will also be our hands-on exhibit hall, consignment sale, book
sale, museum tours, food, and prizes.

Also new this time, all day on Friday April 4, is VCF East University.
That's a separate admission event with eight technical classes in
hardware/software tracks.

We just started posting details; most of the speakers (and schedules)
are not yet decided. We expect a couple of dozen exhibitors to start
registering around the new year.

Our web site is http://www.vintage.org/2014/east and we're social at
http://www.facebook.com/vcfeast.

This is a hobbyist celebration of computer history, not a professional
conference, so anyone in a tie is considered suspicious. However, if
SIGCIS members attend, we won't tell anyone what you do for work. :)

Local endorsements: SIGCIS's Peter Meyer attended VCF East 8.0 and so
enjoyed himself that he joined us afterward for drinks. CHM's Al Kossow
and Dag Spicer have also both joyfully attended several VCF events.

So: be like Indiana Jones! Exit the library, enter the hands-on
laboratory that is the Vintage Computer Festival East. You won't die but
you probably will have an exciting adventure.