[SIGCIS-Members] NSA "pre-history of code-breaking"?

Janet Abbate abbate at vt.edu
Mon Jun 24 19:08:04 PDT 2013

This was posted on Slashdot today:

"The National Security Agency has declassified an eye-opening pre-history of computers used for code-breaking between the 1930s and 1960s. The 344 page report, entitled It Wasn't All Magic: The Early Struggle to Automate Cryptanalysis (pdf), it is available on the Government Attic web site. Government Attic has also just posted a somewhat less declassified NSA compendium from 1993: A Collection of Writings on Traffic Analysis. (pdf)"

When I tried to click on the link I got an error message (not that I really want  a file from the NSA on my computer...). Anybody know if this is for real?

Dr. Janet Abbate
Associate Professor
Science & Technology in Society
Virginia Tech