[SIGCIS-Members] New ebook on Indian Computing - free download

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Jun 6 15:44:38 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

A little while ago Mathai Joseph emailed me to let me know about his new
eBook on the history of computing in India. According to the blurb

"This book analyses the rise of Indian computing. Interleaving history and
memoir, it describes key moments and decisions that led to the slowdown in
the 1960s and 1970s and the changes in the 1980s that fuelled the ascent of
the software industry to pre-eminence in what has become one of the world's
most important industries.
Along the way the author reflects on the nature of science, the importance
of computing and the interplay of theory, experiment and technology. He
discusses the wide differences in the academic perception of computing in
India and the rest of the world and how it affected the growth of Indian
computer science as well as the computing industry."

This has a list price of $3.99 for the Kindle edition, but it is currently
free at  <http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGR5JLU>
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGR5JLU.  According to his website,
<http://www.mathaijoseph.com> http://www.mathaijoseph.com, it is free on
"June 6 and 7," though I suppose that doesn't actually say that it is not
free on other dates.

Anyway there has been very little written on the history of Indian IT so I'm
sure the book will be a useful resource for those of you with an interest in
the area.