[SIGCIS-Members] Looking to join NACBS Panel or Roundtable?

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Mon Feb 25 08:00:17 PST 2013

Hi All,

This is a message for all the British and British Empire historians on
the list. I am considering applying to the 2013 NACBS CFP (due March
1, for conference in Portland, OR on Nov. 8-10, 2013). They are only
accepting full panels of 3 papers, or roundtables of 4 people.

I was wondering if any of you were planning on going and were looking
for a panel (or, barring that, perhaps looking for an extra panelist).
An idea that I have been kicking around is a panel or a roundtable on
the topic of queering the history of technology, using British history
as a space to do this. I think it's an interesting topic because the
history of technology has been viewed through a queer lens in other
disciplines (media studies, women's studies) and it strikes me that
one place where history of technology is being successfully queered in
a historical subdiscipline is in British history. I already have one
person signed on, so we're looking for a 3rd (and possibly a 4th)
presenter.

Let me know if you're interested (or know anyone else who might be).
Deadline is this Friday, so the sooner the better!

Best,

Marie

Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor, History of Technology