[SIGCIS-Members] Book Auction at SHOT -- donations needed

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Sep 24 12:12:38 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

We'll be sending some more messages soon about the forthcoming SHOT meeting
and associated SIGCIS events.

One of our traditions is an auction of donated books relevant to the history
of computing, which has provided a major part of our travel support grants
for graduate students. It is also a fun part of the lunch, and we do our
best to keep it moving as quickly as possible. In recent years more than a
thousand dollars each year has come from the auction. Most the books have
come from MIT Press, which we very much appreciate. We do have a box of
books from MIT this year (thanks to Margie Avery and Katie Persons)  but
because of some changes in the way the press handles its inventory it is not
quite as big those in previous years. Indeed MIT has been so generous in the
past that it's been a struggle to get everything auctioned off in time.

So I'm calling you all to look at their shelves and see if there are any
spare desk copies, review copies, promotional copies, etc. of history of
computing books you can bring to the SIGCIS lunch in Copenhagen.

Or, if you are not going this year, you could also mail me a book or two.
I'm leaving on Wednesday next week, so there is still time if they are
mailed quickly. Donations to SHOT (and hence to SIGCIS) are treated as
charitable contributions under US tax law.

Another point: we can accept payment in cash or in US dollar checks. So
please bring plenty of cash with you to the lunch so you can drive up the
bidding in a good cause.