[SIGCIS-Members] Open-rank position: interpretivist studies of information and info tech, UM School of Information

Paul N. Edwards pne at umich.edu
Fri Oct 5 06:16:23 PDT 2012

All,

The University of Michigan School of Information has a position opening at any rank for an "interpretivist" - partial description below, more available at the web link.

The description is written broadly to encourage applications from people with qualitative/ethnographically oriented backgrounds such as science and technology studies, anthropology, sociology, HCI-CSCW, and of course iSchools.

The deadline is SOON: November 1.

I'm not on the search committee this year, but I'll be at Society for Social Studies of Science in Copenhagen if anyone would like to discuss the position and/or the School of Information.

Please forward widely!

Best,

Paul

2012 Faculty opening: Interpretivism

The School of Information at the University of Michigan (UMSI) seeks a tenure-track professor at any rank with expertise in interpretivist methods and theory who advances knowledge about the interactions between people, information and information technology.

While we encourage applications from both foundational and applied interpretivist researchers, we are particularly interested in candidates who are not merely consumers of ethnographically based methods, but who have deep expertise in at least one relevant theoretical literature as well as methods. For a brief background statement of the interpretivist perspective see http://www.qualres.org/HomeInte-3516.html, but we encourage candidates from other interpretivist traditions as well.

http://www.si.umich.edu/aboutsi/2012-faculty-opening-interpretivism

Applications submitted by November 1 receive fullest consideration

___________________________

Paul N. Edwards
Professeur invité, Sciences Po, Paris, 2012-13)
Professor of Information and History, University of Michigan
A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics of Global Warming (MIT Press, 2010)

Terse replies are deliberate (and better than nothing)

Mailing address (2012-13):
82 rue Mouffetard
75005 Paris, France
(206) 337-1523  (fax)