[SIGCIS-Members] Older computers (1940-1950)

Pierre Mounier mounier at msh-paris.fr
Thu Nov 15 07:01:55 PST 2012

That's true, Paul. Yet as we cannot keep people in the cybersphere
from establishing such lists, better have a little control on them –
including warning about the limits of their historical value.

Speaking about human / non- human computers, i can't resist offering a
little glimpse of the Turing exhibition that we opened last night in
Paris.
In the 1940s (perhaps earlier), Alan Turing, like many others, used a
Brunsviga desk calculator. He even compared its "memory size" to that
of other calculators :
Brunsviga : 60 bits. Manchester Baby : 1 024 bits. Project ACE : 60
000 bits.
(from the excellent biography by Andrew Hodges)
What few people seem to have noticed is the commercial logo & motto of
the Brunsviga manufacturer: