[SIGCIS-Members] Older computers (1940-1950)

Pierre Mounier mounier at msh-paris.fr
Thu Nov 15 02:47:21 PST 2012

Of course it all depends on the definition of a "computer". The list
below encompasses many kinds of digital machines, including non-
electronic and non-stored programmed devices.
If we include the ABC, we may as well add Couffignal's computer, an
electronic, parallel calculator programmed from an external disk.
Developed in Paris in 1947-1950, it never went beyond lab experiments.
Its only historical significance is its being a model of inept project
management. We still keep the fossil at Musee des Arts & Metiers.
But then the IBM 603 and 604 could even better qualify for the list?
Best,
Pierre

Pierre Mounier-Kuhn
CNRS & Univ. Paris-Sorbonne
http://pups.paris-sorbonne.fr/pages/aff_livre.php?Id=838
L'informatique en France, de la 2e guerre mondiale au Plan Calcul.
L'emergence d'une science