[SIGCIS-Members] Chair and commentator slots for SHOT

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Mar 26 12:15:45 PDT 2012

Hello,

It seems likely that SIGCIS will be organizing two panel submissions for
this year's SHOT (Copenhagen).

One would focus on the early development of information societies, looking
at technologies of knowing from a political perspective. Likely participants
Giuditta Parolini (statistical tables), Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan
(importation of cybernetics to French ethnography) and Ksenia Tatarchenko
(Soviet visions of the information society as expressed in computer
education).

The other is a little less settled, but will probably concern the politics
of IT manufacturing in NY State (analog computers), Europe (IBM typewriters)
and India (an early personal computer company during an era of
protectionism).

I'll probably either chair or comment on one session myself, but we'd need
at least three other people to volunteer as chair or commentator (give
preference for role and session if you have them). Let me know in the next
day or two if you are interested.