[SIGCIS-Members] historiography of IS

Bernardo Batiz-Lazo bbatiz64 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 01:05:38 PDT 2012

Might be of interest

Seizing the Opportunity: Towards a Historiography of Information Systems
Date:	2012

By:	Nathalie Mitev (ISIG - Information Systems and Innovation Group -
Department of Management - London School of Economics and Political
Science)
François-Xavier De Vaujany (DRM - Dauphine Recherches en Management -
CNRS : UMR7088 - Université Paris IX - Paris Dauphine)

URL:	http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00671690&r=his

Historical perspectives are only timidly entering the world of IS
research compared to historical research in management or organization
studies. If major IS outlets have already published history-oriented
papers, the number of historical papers - although increasing -
remains low. We carried out a thematic analysis of all papers on
History and IS published between 1972 and 2009 indexed on ABI and
papers indexed in Google ScholarTM for the same period. We used a
typology developed by theorists Usdiken and Kieser (2004) who classify
historical organisation research into supplementarist, integrationist
and reorientationist approaches. We outline their links with the
epistemological stances well known in IS research, positivism,
interpretivism and critical research; we then focus on their
differences and historiographical characteristics. We found that most
IS History papers are supplementarist descriptive case studies with
limited uses of History. This paper then suggests that IS research
could benefit from adopting integrationist and reorientationist
historical perspectives and we offer some examples to illustrate how
that would contribute to enriching, extending and challenging existing
theories.
Keywords:	IS history; historiography; historical methods; historical
organization theory

--

==================   Twitter  @BatizLazo

Technological Innovation in Retail Finance:
International Historical Perspectives

Edited by Bernardo Batiz-Lazo, J. Carles Maixé-Altés, Paul Thomes

http://www.taylorandfrancis.com/books/details/9780415880671

Home page:
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/business/staff/bernardo_batiz-lazo.en.php

Working papers: