[SIGCIS-Members] FW: computer security history

William McMillan wmcmillan at emich.edu
Wed Mar 14 07:48:42 PDT 2012

"Googling suggests z/OS probably has been hacked, just not in the world
view of guys from Compuware."

Of course whether a particular system has been hacked is not the issue.  I
mention systems like Multics, the IBM System/360, and VMS to point out how
much relatively advanced design and implementation had been done in
computer security long before concerns were raised or discussed by people
outside of the computing professions.

And I'll buy dinner for anyone who can hack into the mainframes at
Compuware, Auto-Owners Insurance, Blue-Cross-Blue-Shield, Trintity Health,
or any other modern firm that depends on these platforms for doing "real"
computing.

- Bill