[SIGCIS-Members] Computer Security History & the US Government

John Paul Laprise j-laprise at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 12 00:42:56 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I've started a new thread due to a newly declassified document I received in the (snail) mail yesterday. One of my FOIA requests struck paydirt as the Ford Library declassified NSDM (National Security Decision Memorandum) 338 "Further Improvements in Telecommunications Security"<http://www.fordlibrarymuseum.gov/library/document/0310/nsdm338.pdf> dated 1 September 1976. In this executive document then President Ford orders the now defunct Office of Telecommunications Policy (OTP) with the Department of Defense (DoD) and the National Security Agency (NSA) to take action  and develop further plans for protecting US telecommunications networks.

By extension, this plan resulted in significant policy changes in the US telecommunications market and ongoing cooperation between the NSA and telecommunications companies from the beginning of deregulation.

Best regards,

John Laprise, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Northwestern University Qatar<http://www.qatar.northwestern.edu/>