[SIGCIS-Members] computer security history

Jon Lindsay jrlindsay at ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 11 11:14:02 PDT 2012

Hello all,
I have the feeling that the history of computer security, from hacking
techniques to the evolution of the information security industry to
fearmongering over cybersecurity, is a somewhat understudied area. I have
seen some work on the development of government policy and threat framing
(i.e., by Myriam Dunn Cavelty) but I'm less aware of anything on the
evolution of the technical and industrial dark arts. If there is some good
work out there, I would love to see it.
Bonus points if you can tell me when the awful phrase "digital pearl
harbor" first appeared!
Cheers,
Jon