[SIGCIS-Members] sf-lovers

David Ferro davidferro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 23:41:49 PST 2012

Christopher,
Janet Abbate notes some sf in early Internet development in Inventing the
Internet (
http://www.amazon.com/Inventing-Internet-Inside-Technology-Abbate/dp/0262511150/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1331192341&sr=8-4
)
and she and some other authors on this list here go into some detail in
Science Fiction and Computing (
http://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction-Computing-Interlinked-ebook/dp/B006J4J39A/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_kin?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331192422&sr=1-1
 )
David

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Christopher S. Leslie <cleslie at poly.edu>wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> I am more and more intrigued by a connection between science fiction and
> the early days of the ARPAnet. As you may know, one of the first group
> distribution lists that was not directly related to defense research was
> the mailing list SF-lovers, which was created in Sept. 1979 at MIT by
> Richard Brodie. When Usenet became available, a connection was established,
> and the travails of the list after that point are fairly well documented by
> Saul Jaffe and others.
>
> Before the Usenet list, however, there is not so much information. I've
> been in contact with some researchers about this, but I am hoping that
> someone on the list might also remember the days of the sf-lovers list
> before Usenet. I've also heard that there were mailing groups on local
> computers and BBSs (bulletin board systems) before there were widely
> dispersed e-mail list, which if they were discussing science fiction, I
> would love to learn about.
>
> If anyone has information to share, or can direct me to someone who does,
> I would greatly appreciate it. I am writing a book on science fiction and I
> think this list demonstrates an interesting synergy between science fiction
> and engineering.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris Leslie
>
> Christopher S. Leslie, Ph.D.
> Instructor of Media and Technology Studies
> Department of Technology, Culture and Society
> Polytechnic Institute of New York University
> 6 MetroTech Center, RH 213h
> Brooklyn, NY 11201
> (718) 260-3130

David L. Ferro, PhD, Dean, College of Applied Science and Technology, Weber
State University, Ogden, Utah