[SIGCIS-Members] _History Hunting_ by James Cortada

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Thu Jun 21 19:11:41 PDT 2012

Sounds good. I ordered it tonight.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Walden <dave.walden.family at gmail.com>
Sender: members-bounces at sigcis.org
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:24:53
To: <members at SIGCIS.org>
Subject: [SIGCIS-Members] _History Hunting_ by James Cortada

I heard about _History Hunding:  A Guide for Fellow Adventurers_ last Friday.
I ordered a copy from Amazon Saturday and it arrived the day before
yesterday.
I have now read it, and I recommend it to you.
The book is partially a memoir of Cortada's life as a historian,
partially a how-to book, and partially a statement of what Cortada
believes are the proper roles of history and historians.  (This is my
summary, not his.)
As an amateur historian of computing history, I think the book is wonderful.
It is fun and easy to read.  It is educational.  It is inspirational !
I suspect it would be an outstanding book to assign to college
students of history who have not yet decided whether to follow the
academic tenure track approach to history or find some other way to
do history while following a less prescribed career path.
The book also discusses how historians in the academy might
participate in bigger, less individual history pursuits.
It is very complimentary to librarians, archivists, used bookstore
owners, etc., as people who can help historians.
Reading the book is going to adjust somewhat my approach to "doing history."