[SIGCIS-Members] updated texts for course on cultural history of programming, etc

Bernard Dionysius Geoghegan bernardgeoghegan2010 at u.northwestern.edu
Fri Jul 13 07:27:54 PDT 2012

Hi SIGCISers,

I got some great tips for my course that I mentioned on the list yesterday. Thanks to the SIGCISers who responded. The results are below.

On a random note, a few people couldn't load my website, ie, they time out. For awhile I've had this problem that folks at certain locations (usually from home) can't get my webpage to load. As far as I can tell, it does not correlate to OS, browser, platform, etc, because if these folks change locations then they can load it. If anyone out there is tech savvy and has a tip on what the problem might be, I'd welcome your input. Again, my new address is geoghegb at cms.hu-berlin.de.

Thanks again for the great tips!
-bernie

More texts on Software etc:
Good References
Course on software by Michael Mahoney: http://www.princeton.edu/~hos/h598/h598s03.html
Course on software and networks by Chris Kelty:
http://kelty.org/or/classes/189v/doku.php

Useful Turing Lectures
-The Humble Programmer by Dijkstra
-Iverson, Notation as a tool of thought
-Bachman, The programmer as navigator
-Knuth, Computer programming as an art
-Newell and Simon, Completer Science as Emprical Inquiry: Symbols and Search

Secondary Sources
-Michael Mahoney, What Makes the History of Software Hard
-Mahoney, “Finding a History for Software Engineering”
-Mindell, “Programs and People” in Digital Apollo
-Kelty, Logical Instruments
Hagen, “The Style of Sources: Remarks on the Theory and History of Programming
Languages” [“Der Stil der Sourcen: Anmerkungen zur Theorie und Geschichte der Programmiersprachen.”]
-Jon Agar, The Government Machine
-Bardini, Bootstrapping: Douglas Engelbart, Coevolution, and the Origins of Personal Computing
-History of Programing Languages (2 vols.)
Philip Kraft, Programmers and Managers: The Routinization of Computer Programming in the United States?
David Noble, Forces of Production or
Shoshanna Zuboff, Work in the Age of the Smart Machine
Foote and Yodler, “Big Ball of Mud” http://www.laputan.org/mud/
Richard Gabriel, misc, http://www.dreamsongs.com/
-Lucy Suchman, Human-Machine Reconfigurations: Plans and situated actions (2nd edition). http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/sociology/profiles/Lucy-Suchman/
misc, by Horst Völz
Marino, “Critical Code Studies” http://www.electronicbookreview.com/thread/electropoetics/codology/
Parikka, “Archive Dynamics: Software Culture and Digital Heritage” in What is Media Archaeology
Naur, Pluralism in Software Engineering (critique of McCarthy, Dijkstra-style programming)

Regarding gender, see work by performance artist Micha Cardenas
Regarding code and politics, see Transborder Immigrant Tool, written by Robert Dominguez and a reading thereof by Marino (Reading the Transborder Immigrant Tool)