[SIGCIS-Members] more electronic mail references

Nathan Ensmenger nathan at ischool.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 29 08:25:54 PST 2012

Tom --- the earliest reference I have seen to electronic mail in a relatively mainstream publication is from the Harvard Business Review in 1972.  Here is the cite.  If you want the article, let me know.  I have a PDF

Bryan Carne.  Telecommunications: its impact on business. Harvard Business Review; Jul/Aug72, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p125-132

There is also an "electronic speed mail" system that was pioneered under the Eisenhower administration.  I found at least one reference to it from 1959 that uses the term "electronic mail."

Tours Scheduled to Put Electronic Mail on View. Washington Post, March 6, 1959.

-Nathan

--
Nathan Ensmenger
School of Information