[SIGCIS-Members] Email inventor: Help me set the record straight for the WP

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Tue Feb 28 15:18:28 PST 2012

Thanks Chris and Marie,

I've received around a dozen other messages off list, so thanks to all of
those as well. If time permits I'll look into posting a draft online which
people can then sign in support prior to publication as Marie suggests.

Couple of updates. Apparently the pieces will run online, with possible
print pickup but not promised. Length around 1,500 words which will allow
for some depth. Deadline is "as long as you need" at this point.

So maybe 4 milestones as Chris suggests with a paragraph on each in the text
and some others just as bullets in a table. The benefit of having more
milestones in bullet form is to sketch some of the space between the 1970s
and email as the readers know it. Also to convey the point that there were
indeed a lot of crucial incremental inventions that fed into the stream of
development, but none of these were made by Ayyadurai.

Re Marie's other point, the job title issue would almost certainly not make
the article, as it would seem very petty to the public. Ayyadurai's
credibility was certainly boosted by many reports describing him as an "MIT
professor. "Faculty Lecturer" was just something that jumped out at me as
the word "faculty" has a very specific meaning within American universities.
Lecturer/visiting lecturer is a non-faculty job category that many
institutions use for a range of academic staff functions, and it can be
dressed up with variant informal titles. On the other hand, being a faculty
member at a place like MIT has some very real privileges and responsibility
and I suspect that the actual faculty members guard them jealously. So you
can't just attach the word "faculty" to a job at whim. Still, MIT is proudly
idiosyncratic in a number of areas which is why I wondered about local
usage.

Tom