[SIGCIS-Members] Email was invented by a school boy in 1978 says Washington Post & Time Magazine

Marie Hicks mhicks1 at iit.edu
Wed Feb 22 12:40:22 PST 2012

Hi all,

Tom, would you consider posting a shortened version of your initial
email on the sigcis.org blog? And SIGCIS members, would you consider
going over there and commenting on it? It strikes me that this is a
perfect opportunity to have a public conversation, on our terms, about
the history of computing--one that will hopefully be enlightening for
a broader public.

As you pointed out, the news outlets did a poor job of sourcing these
articles: "Even calling a historian might take an hour or two to
arrange. But are they even incapable of using Wikipedia and Google?"

Let's stack the deck a bit more in our favor. Let's put some high
quality content out there on the SIGCIS blog for folks to read now,
and refer back to in the future.

Best,

Marie
(SIGCIS Vice Chair, Operations)
Marie Hicks, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of History of Technology
Lewis Department of the Humanities
Illinois Institute of Technology
Chicago, IL
mhicks1 at iit.edu