[SIGCIS-Members] CFP: SHOT 2012 Conference, 4-7 Oct in Copenhagen. Deadline 31 March.

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Feb 16 18:34:23 PST 2012

Hello everyone,

This topic has been receiving some spirited discussion on the general list
and in smaller groups, but I think the time has come to accept it as an
unfortunate use of "reply to all" from one of our newest members and move
on..

..but not before I mention that I wouldn't have come to every SHOT meeting
for the last 8 years and organized something like 20 panel submissions for
the conference if I was cynical about the SHOT experience or indeed found it
dreadful. However, in encouraging people without history Ph.D.s to attend
and submit to SHOT I've become aware that there's a lot of tacit knowledge
about how a history conference works that is mystifying to (say) computer
scientists, amateur historians or economists but is not included in a
typical history CFP because it is "too obvious" to bother stating. So to
further the SIG's interdisciplinary mission, and help SHOT's stated goal of
broad participation, I aimed to take some of that "insider" knowledge I
learned during my academic apprenticeship and share it with our members.

Tom