[SIGCIS-Members] IBM Mainframes at AT&T

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Sat Dec 1 14:51:19 PST 2012

If I am not mistaken, the main difference between the System/360 and the 370 (other than the color of the console) was that the 370 used semiconductor (IBM called it "monolithic") memory instead of core. One consequence of that change was that the memory now was volatile, so in order to initiate the system, you had to load code from an external memory device. IBM invented the floppy disk for that purpose. As Paul Harvey used to say, "that's the rest of the story."

The other thing I noticed about the video was the absence of long hair -- this was the early 1970s after all. Thompson & Ritchie were in another AT&T site, and maybe kept off-camera.

Paul