[SIGCIS-Members] A vote for history from a young student

William McMillan wmcmillan at emich.edu
Thu Aug 16 08:40:46 PDT 2012

Dear SIGCIS members,

I wanted to tell you about a conversation I was party to with a group of
high school students who had completed a pretty amazing robotics project:
*http://tinyurl.com/ctukmdb*

The students were asked what would motivate more of their peers to pursue
science and technology.

Expecting to hear something like, "Assign more cool projects," I was
surprised that the first suggestion from a student was, "Teach the history
of science."  I think he meant technology too.  The whole group agreed.

(Of course, they suggested more cool projects as well!  And some remarked
that, since many of them were fortunate to grow up on farms, they learned
about all kinds of technology, unlike urban kids who get exposed to so
little.)

Bill