[SIGCIS-Members] 1979 Xerox commercial for the Alto

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Mon Apr 23 12:04:22 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

Dag Spicer of the Computer History Museum has been kind enough to process
and upload to YouTube for us a short 1979 Xerox commercial showcasing the
experimental Alto technology as an embodiment for its vision of the office
of the future. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0zgj2p7Ww4

This was something I'd seen years ago (an extract is featured in Triumph of
the Nerds) but had been unable to track down anywhere online. I've added a
link to my invention of email piece http://www.sigcis.org/Ayyadurai as this
video by itself does a pretty good job of disproving the claim that nobody
had ever built a system to harness email for office communication before
1980.