[SIGCIS-Members] Software Crisis redux

William McMillan wmcmillan at emich.edu
Fri Apr 20 12:49:45 PDT 2012

Report from the trenches:

Here in Southeast Michigan, companies are fighting tooth and nail for
software developers, including entry-level people.  Firms from the Detroit
Metro and Ann Arbor areas (we're between the two) are looking for mobile
app developers, web people, mainframe programmers, project managers, Java
developers, all kinds of things.  E.g., Quicken Loans in Detroit is hiring
400.  GE moved their global software dev HQ nearby and will hire hundreds.
At our IT Career Fair a week ago, students were getting offers on the spot.

This feels similar to the software boom times in the 1980s, when students
had a hard time completing their BS degrees before getting offers they
couldn't refuse.

In between these eras, not so much.

- Bill