[SIGCIS-Members] "Stored program" -- anyone know origins of the PHRASE

David Alan Grier grier at gwu.edu
Tue Apr 3 09:05:24 PDT 2012

Tom,
	And yet another problem is that the community didn't start using "program" in its current sense much before 1950.  Though the ENIAC team used program, they used it to refer to the electrical control systems of the machines.  The four papers by Burk, Goldstine and von Neumann using the terms "code" and "coding".  At one point I checked all the conferences between 46 and 48 and found that the work program was uncommon and clearly used in the current sense.  I suspect that 1948 might be the lower bound for this search but I have no evidence that pushes it that far.

David

David Alan Grier
Fellow, IEEE
President Elect, IEEE Computer Society
Assoc. Prof., International Science & Technology Policy
Center for International Science and Technology Policy
grier at gwu.edu