[SIGCIS-Members] CFP: ICA preconference on Historiograpy as Intervention, deadline Nov 15

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Nov 10 11:45:18 PST 2011

Hello,

I received the message below regarding an ICA preconference on
"Historiography as Intervention: Communicating Across Geographies,
Communities & Divides" from Ben Peters [mailto:bjpeters at gmail.com]. He asks
me to tell you that "Inquiries on the pre-conference below should go to
Travers Scott,  <mailto:dscott3 at g.clemson.edu> dscott3 at g.clemson.edu."

As I was reminded at the SIGCIS workshop over the weekend, a significant
convergence is taking place between the historical communities concerned
with communications history and the history of computing/IT. This is driven
in part by the real-world convergence of the technologies from the 1970s
onward, but I suspect that we'll also start to see hitherto neglected
parallels emerging in studies of earlier eras as well. The push within the
"information school" world to define a hybrid field of "information history"
is another interesting chance to make new kinds of connections. In another
generation or two it may seem odd to people that we ever thought of
communications history and computing history as largely distinct.

Tom