[SIGCIS-Members] MIT Press: Platform Studies Series

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Nov 3 20:42:49 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

Below is a message relayed from Ian Bogost regarding the new MIT Press
platform studies series. I like his book on the VCS a lot, and thanks to MIT
Press one lucky bidder will be walking away with a copy at our auction
tomorrow. (We'll also be auctioning his Persuasive Games and some related
titles such as Code/Play and The Machinima Reader).  In general it would be
great to get the history of computing community more involved with the
various new movements emerging such as "platform studies," "software
studies," "critical code studies," "demoscene studies," etc. As historians
we've rather under conceptualized software and haven't done much to probe it
as a new and interesting kind of artifact. Likewise a historical perspective
could strengthen these other fields.

Tom

> I'm hoping to make the SIGCIS community aware of a book series I co-edit
at the MIT Press called Platform Studies, which invites books that
investigate the relationships between the hardware and software design of
computing systems and the creative or cultural works produced with those
systems. I co-authored the first book in the series on the Atari VCS, and we
have books out next year on the Amiga and the Wii. We're actively seeking
new books and I have a suspicion that some of the SIGCIS folks might have
projects that would be appropriate, as we're particularly interested in
historical topics. Here are a couple links:

> http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/browse/browse.asp?btype=6
<http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/browse/browse.asp?btype=6&serid=172>
&serid=172